Saturday, February 22, 2014

Colleen Zak - How I’m Going to Start my PLN

How I’m Going to Start my PLN

First of all, I wanted to find out what a PLN is and why I should start one.  One definition is that it’s a social network that you can use to make new connections with others to strengthen your learning process.   You make a connection with other people with the end game being to learn something or many things through these connections.
How am I going to build mine?  To start with, I’m going to look for blogs that are written about what I want to learn.  You can post your own blogs, as well as comment on other’s blogs. 
I’m going to try to find, and then join personal learning networks that people with interests similar to mine would be frequenting.
I’m going to use Twitter more often to follow people that are writing or posting about the things that I want to learn.
I will check Linked In more often to find out what people in my line of work are doing on a regular basis.
I’ve already joined Pinterest and I’m checking it regularly to see what others are liking, reading or learning about, or what they’re watching on YouTube.

What will a PLN do for me?
It will help me improve and develop my skills beyond what I could learn in the workplace. I already use Google and YouTube on a regular basis to find answers I need to questions I have on the job, I plan to use social networking more to develop this PLN and find some of the answers I’ve been seeking.
After searching through numerous sites to find out how to start a PLN and how to do it, I came across the following site which I found extremely helpful:

The gentleman who wrote the article, Eric Patnoudes, makes some excellent points in his video such as:
No one is to get anywhere waiting for someone to do something for us – we need to find the answers ourselves.
What if the go-to person you’re learning from leaves?  That happens all the time – we need other sources to find answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment