Another item I found very interesting in Chapter 3 was the
information about advanced searches.
Being able to use Boolean operators such as AND, OR, and NOT, or having
the ability to do these types of advanced searches and filter them so you can
obtain results that come from a specific country is very helpful. Many times when I was searching for
information to do a paper during my some classes at ESC, I wish I would have
known about this feature. For example, I
always wanted to know how to exclude UK results from some of my searches. I really don’t know if I’ll need to use a
Boolean search very often, but I wanted to find out more information about
them. I did find one web site that went
more in depth about it, and explained what to do and what not to when doing
these types of searches. The link is as
follows: http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Boolean.pdf
There was also the option mentioned for the Google advanced
search which showed how to get only .PDF results. Since I use Google for just about everything,
I felt a little embarrassed that I never knew about this feature.
After reading about the Quickpick feature, one of the first
things I did was to add Google and Yahoo to my Manage Add-ons area in Internet
Explorer, and to demote the Bing search engine as my last choice – just a
matter of personal preference.

No comments:
Post a Comment