Since my job sort of forces me to stay more on the hardware
side of computers, I often don’t get to read or use much on the software side. Chapter 3 was another eye-opener for me as
far as learning some new things. For
example, using the web directory DMOZ instead of a search engine was very
helpful, because web directories don’t rank the hits you get like Google does
(sometimes unfairly). Also, using a
search engine like Google or Yahoo to find something, getting tons of different
hits, and not being sure how to sort them was always difficult for me. However, utilizing the web directory DMOZ seemed
like a good alternative to refine the hits you get when searching for specific
topics, or to do a more advanced search altogether.
Although I knew about other search engines like Bing,
Altavista, and Yahoo, I had not heard of Gigablast. Like DMOZ, it is an open source product. Since I had never heard of Gigablast, I
decided to do more research on it and found the following site, called
searchenginejournal.com. It went a little bit more in-depth about Gigablast
than what was in our book. http://www.searchenginejournal.com/gigablast-better-than-google-or-askcom-according-to-study/655. What I found even more helpful on this site
was this article titled Top 10 Tools For Managing Your Social Media Accounts.
Child-friendly search engines are a great idea. It’s too late for me to suggest them to my
kids, but I will certainly make friends and relatives with young children aware
of the types of sites mentioned in Chapter 3. I had also not dealt much with
Metasearch engines, which compile search results from different search engines
into single search results. Again, here
is another extremely useful tool which I plan to use more often in the future.
Over the past few years, I’ve heard many people talk about
LexisNexis, but never knew what it was used for. This seems like it would be a great help to
people employed in the legal, medical, and government sectors. I wanted to know
more about how to go about using this site, and that led me to the link I found
below. It walks you through step by step
on how to sign in to LexisNexis, retrieve the documents you need, and obtain
the best search results. http://www.lexisnexis.com/lexisenhancements/literature/lp20827-0-quick-ref.pdf
Colleen,
ReplyDeleteI tried to link to the Gigablast article and found your link is missing a "1" at the end. The correct link is: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/gigablast-better-than-google-or-askcom-according-to-study/6551/.
Hi Ron, thanks for pointing this out and fixing it. :)
Delete