Saturday, March 15, 2014

LinkedIn - Good or Bad?

 
 
In my opinion, I think LinkedIn is a good tool to use for networking.  I’ve been using it for a few years mainly to stay in touch with coworkers from previous jobs I’ve had.  Through the experience I’ve had with LinkedIn, it seems as if more people age 40 and older use the site, while people 40 and younger gravitate to Facebook.  LinkedIn seems as if it’s more for professionals and job seekers, while Facebook is used for friends and family.  I feel like LinkedIn makes me more available or accessible to other people or potential employers.  Today, there are many companies who search LinkedIn and Facebook for prospective employees.
For the most part, I think LinkedIn is beneficial, and I really don’t have any concerns about it.  The only thing I find annoying is when it asks about connecting to people in your address book.  I once made the mistake of sending invitations to everyone in my address book and I ticked off a few people.  Now I’m a little more particular about who I connect with and send invitations to while using LinkedIn. It’s always good to be selective when using this type of site.  In fact, below is a link to a recent event that happened on LinkedIn.  It’s a cautionary tale that everyone should read, and is all the more reason why people should always be careful what they post online.   There’s a quote that goes something like “Never put anything in writing that you don’t wish to see printed in public”.




No comments:

Post a Comment