Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Chapter 5 Getting More Out of the Internet


You can do just about anything online these days.  For years, I’ve been paying all my bills and doing my banking online. I’ve been shopping online for years also, especially during the holidays to avoid crowds.  If I can find a site like Kohl’s or Target that offers free shipping, even though there’s a local store that’s within driving distance to my house, I’ll choose the online shopping option because I can browse in the comfort of my own home, on my own time.
News and traffic web sites are great sources of info that we now have instantaneous access to even on our cell phones.  It’s nice to able to call up the Washington Post or St. Petersburg Times, and find out what breaking news is going on all over the world, at any time.  In addition, being able to get directions to just about anywhere has become easy and convenient with Internet access. Now we don’t have to drive to a library or a AAA office to look up information in a book anymore.

Being able to download music from an FTP or P2P site, or even having access to Pandora Internet radio gives us so many different choices that we never would have had without online access.  Entertainment, including music and movies, is much more accessible through the Internet.
In my opinion, one of the most important and helpful tools that we all have easy access to is health information, including sites related to diet and exercise.  Although some of us rely on it too much sometimes - we’ve all heard that saying – "don’t believe everything you read on the Internet"- it is a good way to look up information about medical conditions, and how to lead a healthier lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment